Posted in November 2015

Evaluation and summary

It is almost a week ago that the project ended with the science fair, a recap is posted on this. So we had some time to reflect on the course of the project.
We learned a lot during this project: like the various ways of scanning and software used to extract the necessary data. The most difficult part was to convert the acquired 2d images from the scanner to an editable 3d model. On the other hand, while converting, it was important to keep the planning in mind. We could have easily spent too much time doing this, which could have cost us valuable time meant for physical replicating. We then divided the tasks, two of us converted the scans and the other two researched possible printing techniques at TU Delft and by businesses around Delft. The downside of this was that not everyone got an insight into the converting process. Though in the end, the extensive blog posts and tutorials, the work done cleared it up for everyone.
After finishing converting we could adjust or add elements to the chosen cup (Harry) to make reproductions. We had to keep in mind that the old footprint had to be preserved. You quickly tend to replicate the cup and give its original look. Yet to make it attractive and interesting for the modern user you have to be original. Therefore, we all chose individual design approaches. That made it very beneficial for our CAD skills. Yet in the end, we all had designs with similarities, due to information exchange during group work sessions.
On the one hand, our assignment was to give back the purpose to historical objects. On the other, there are more options than to just make it into a mass consumer product. It was nice that Maaike left us free to choose our own goals. This way we managed to create four cups with completely different purposes, which was not without its educational benefits. Though, for next year it would be nice to have the supervisor’s expertise as the axis of the project. In Maaike’s case, it would be great to get guidance in porcelain production or augmented reality. It would be nice to see how our work could positively influence her practice or actually give some input to the field.
Summarized, it was an educative project with a possibility to try out various unknown technologies for us. Yet it did not always go smooth, due to some miscommunication. Yet all of it was so minor that it did not give any repercussions neither to the timing, nor to the final products.


Science Fair

Tuesday 27th of September we joined the Science fair at the faculty of Industrial Engineering with our project. The last replica’s were printed the same morning so we were ready in time. There were a lot of interested people and children we have spoken to, and also Delta was there to interview us. Everyone was allowed to touch our print (although our sign ‘Please do touch’ was mostly misread as ‘Please don’t touch’ so we decided to remove the sign). Especially the print of the Connex was nice to touch since it exists out of two materials and you can ‘squeeze’ it . Overall it was a really nice afternoon.


Final products

Harry render Irene-01

Render Sander Shards infografje-01Renders vacuum
Renders gum-triang

© 2011 TU Delft