AP projects 2015
Posts tagged Artec Spider
While still being occupied with the processing of the CT-scans, the first impression was that it wasn’t as easy and accurate as we expected it to be. Maaike had reserved the Artec Spider for Friday for another project. We wanted to see if this scanning technique gave a better or different result then the CT-scanners. We were lucky that this was possible.
The Artec Spider is a scanner for small objects that captures really complex details and color. It has an accuracy up to 0.05 mm.
We scanned three objects:
- The comb, because this object is the only object that was scanned by the macro and micro scanner. Scanning this object with the Artec Spider will show the difference between these three scanners.
- Hermione, to see if the accuracy of details is better with the Artec Spider.
- Harry, to see if with this technique the break lines and repaired break lines will be visible
In the files from the CT-scanner the repaired break lines weren’t visible and the break lines were given an arched shape.
The objects and the scanner had to be moved/operated by hand, since the objects were so small. For the comb this wasn’t a problem because we put it in a paper cup and turned that around. The scanner has problems with really small or big gaps. The small gaps in the comb were too small, in the model there was a relief instead of gaps.
The problem with Hermione was the big gap on one side. Because of the gap the model had a lot of failures. We tried multiple ways of scanning. Eventually we scanned only the handle, by making multiple scans from different angles and combining them together.
Because of the problems we had with Hermione we decided to fill Harry with a napkin, so that no problems would arise from the difference in distance. This went ok, only afterwards the napkin had to be deleted.
The results of processed 3D images will be posted later.